Articles and Working Papers
"Party Polarization, Ideological Sorting and the Emergence of the U.S. Partisan Gender Gap" (with Daniel Q. Gillion and Marc Meredith). Forthcoming in the British Journal of Political Science (PDF)
"The Push and Pull of African Americans' Support for the Democratic Party" (with Daniel Q. Gillion and Marc Meredith) . Presented at the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, IL. (PDF)
"The Consequences of Broader Media Choice: Evidence from the Expansion of Fox News" (with Daniel J. Hopkins). Quarterly Journal of Political Science. vol. 9, no. 1 (March 2014), pp. 115-135. (PDF)
- Online Appendix
- Discussed on the Washington Post's WonkBlog ("How the Rise of Fox News Helped Republican Candidates") and on The Monkey Cage blog ("The Fox News Effect").
"The Era of Media Distrust and Its Consequences for Perceptions of Political Reality." In New Directions in Media and Politics, ed. Travis N. Ridout. New York, NY: Routledge, pp. 24-44. 2013. (Google Books Page)
"Investigating the Pro-Life Abortion Policy Preferences of the Millennial Generation" (with Clyde Wilcox). Paper presented at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association, Chicago, IL. (PDF)
"Does Anxiety Improve Voters' Decision Making?" (with Gabriel S. Lenz). Political Psychology, vol. 32, no. 2 (April 2011), pp. 347-361. (PDF)
- Invited contribution to a three article workshop discussing our previous article, "Reassessing the Role of Anxiety in Vote Choice."
"The Role of Media Distrust in Partisan Voting." Political Behavior, vol. 32, no. 4 (December 2010), pp 567-585. (PDF)
"The Neglected Power of Elite Opinion Leadership to Produce Antipathy toward the News Media: Evidence from a Survey Experiment." Political Behavior, vol. 32, no. 1 (March 2010), pp. 29-50. (PDF)
"Exploiting a Rare Communication Shift to Document the Persuasive Power of the News Media" (with Gabriel S. Lenz). American Journal of Political Science, vol. 53, no. 2 (April 2009), pp. 394-410. (PDF)
- Online Appendix
- Successfully replicated by Jens Hainmueller in Political Analysis.
- Discussed on The Monkey Cage blog ("The Power of Rupert Murdoch Endorsements") and on Andrew Sullivan's Daily Dish blog ("Can Murdoch Decide Elections?").
- Reprinted as Chapter 2 in Media Power in Politics, 6th Edition, ed. Doris A. Graber. Washington, DC: Congressional Quarterly Press, 2011.
- Reprinted as Chapter 30 in Political Knowledge, eds. Jeffrey Friedman and Shterna Friedman. New York, NY: Routledge, 2012.
"Reassessing the Role of Anxiety in Vote Choice" (with Gabriel S. Lenz). Political Psychology, vol. 29, no. 2 (February 2008), pp. 275-296. (PDF)
"Predispositions and Public Support for the President during the War on Terrorism." Public Opinion Quarterly, vol. 71, no. 4 (Winter 2007), pp. 511-538. (PDF)
- Discussed on The Monkey Cage blog ("A Different Take on the 'Rally' Phenomenon").
- Figure 2 with corrected Y-axis label .
“Attitudes toward the News Media and Voting Behavior.” Working Paper. June 2006. (PDF)
- Winner of the Westview Press Award for the best paper presented by a graduate student at the 2005 Annual Meeting of the Midwest Political Science Association.
- Discussed on the official blog of the New York Times Editorial Board ("The Press and Polarization")
- Material from this paper is incorporated into "The Role of Media Distrust in Partisan Voting." (Political Behavior, 2010) and the book, Why Americans Hate the Media and How it Matters.